If you’re thinking about taking a sick day without being sick, try to avoid the following excuses, which are all true and have been compiled by Career Builder via hiring managers:
1. Employee was poisoned by his mother-in-law.
2. A buffalo escaped from the game reserve and kept charging the employee every time she tried to go to her car from her house.
3. Employee was feeling all the symptoms of his expecting wife.
4. Employee called from his cell phone, saying that he was accidentally locked in a restroom stall and that no one was around to let him out.
5. Employee broke his leg snowboarding off his roof while drunk.
6. Employee’s wife said he couldn’t come into work because he had a lot of chores to do around the house.
7. One of the walls in the employee’s home fell off the night before.
8. Employee’s mother was in jail.
9. A skunk got into the employee’s house and sprayed all of his uniforms.
10. Employee had a bad case of hiccups.
11. Employee blew his nose so hard, his back went out.
12. Employee’s horses got loose and were running down the highway.
13. Employee was hit by a bus while walking.
14. Employee’s dog swallowed her bus pass.
15. Employee was sad.
Remember, managers are crafty folk, who can smell bullshit through the phone. Take your time thinking of your alibi and excuse before making that call!