A giant eagle owl is reported to be terrorizing residents in Middlesborough, England. With its 5-ft wingspan, the bird can easily pick up foxes, small dogs and deer.

Reports said the owl set up its home on the roof of the town's train station near the town center, in September. However, the bird suddenly become unruly since December launching itself off high roofs and swooping on passersby.

One of the bird's victims, Craig Smith told The Sun newspaper that the bird tried to attack him from behind as he was running through the station car park to catch a train ride.

He said, "I heard a loud woo-woo noise and looked over my shoulder to see this creature with silver wings, claws stretched out.

"I ran as fast as I could on to the platform and it flew away. On Christmas Eve I saw it go for a man coming out of a pub and chase him down the street."

Mark Fyett, 40 said he was also attacked by the giant bird. "I was leaving work when I heard a hoot and a whoosh and saw this big white face coming at me. I put my arm up and hit its wing and it fell on the floor, but got up again and flew off.

"I was really shaken up. It was like something out of Harry Potter - I thought it was going to pick me up! I went home and called police, but I think they thought I was drunk."

Rachael Stewart, of the Kirkleatham Owl Center in Redcar, North Yorks, said the owl may have escaped from a traveling show and seems to be attacking people when it was just hunting for food.

She said, "We think it must have escaped from a traveling show. Volunteers have tried to catch it a couple of times. It's not dangerous to people but it will have to hunt to survive. It could easily kill a cat or small dog."